The foundation of a great wardrobe is the capsule collection - A collection of pieces that are timeless, interchangeable, and classic. Thus, a capsule piece is one that is neutral and can be worn again and again. For example, a white t-shirt is a capsule piece as it’s extremely versatile and can be dressed up or down. Capsule wardrobes don’t need to be expensive. Because the pieces are timeless and interchangeable, a capsule wardrobe is meant to last years. But if you do have the means, splurge on quality items so that your capsule wardrobe will last.
Tan France recommends that men should include the following items in their capsule wardrobe:
- 1 great piece of outerwear: trench coat, overcoat, puffer jacket, etc.
- A leather jacket
- Button-up Shirts. Both casual button ups and dress shirts.
- A tailored suit in a neutral color like black, grey, or navy blue
- Tshirts: Once again stick to the neutral colors here (white, black, navy blue, etc.)
- Denim Jeans: One or two pairs of jeans with different style and wash
- Footwear: You only need three shoes. One white sneaker, one black boot or show, and one brown boot or shoe.
- Belt: Buy a nice, simple belt. If you need a belt to hold up your pants, you got the wrong size. Wear a belt for form, not function.